MADTOWN recently has been in Hongkong for meeting with fans, They also had an interview with Kpopn. MAD TOWN showed their concern to come more and more country to perform. That day, MAD TOWN members appeared with simple but cool style. Otherwise, during interview, they are very ardent to answer our questions. Ex “their impression about Hongkong”, “which HK artist they want to feature..”. Here is the details of interview:
Q: What is meaning of Team name “MADTOWN”? are these any others name before?
- Geon: MAD TOWN, mean a TOWN of MAD actually. But in details, its mean passion of stage and performance make us MAD.
- Jota: Its also mean : 7 guys love music and play hard
-Moos: Before debut, we also has an idea about team name is Unicorn
Q: Can you introduce about your debut song “YOLO”? Did Daewon make the choreo for YOLO? How do you think about dance step?
-Buffy: Yolo is a simple dance hip hop song, It used addictive melody and very impressive for audience
- Geon: That is a funny song! About Choreo, Daewon is take a part in making Choreo for YOLO and other members was discussing for it. Because of debut song so Its very important to us.
Q: How long have you guys been trainees?
- Moos: me, Its 6 years
- Geon: Apart from Moos, we have been trainee about 2 to 3 years.
- Jota: Buffy has been trainee for 3 years, the rest of members is 2 years
Q: What is the most difficulties during trainee time?
- Geon: It’s a hard time, because of everyone also want to debut so we used to practicing very hard in practice room. Because of hard time during trainee, we also closed to each others. There were great memories with us.
Q: What is most difference before and after debut?
- Jun: Food is better. (Q: so before debut there was no food? Lol)
- Geon: Not yet!. Before debut, we can eat only food list out from company. (Jun: there is a pantry next our company) But now, after debut, we can eat a lot of food, menu is kinda abundance.
Q: HO and BUFFY has just 3 days diffirence in birthday. So both of you are maknae?
- Moos: No. depend on age, both of them are maknae. But 3 days older so that only HO is maknae.
Q: HO, are you often asked to do errand by your hyung?
- HO: not so much…. (HO was talking but his huyng immediately attach)
- JOTA: He didn’t do anything. Even we ask him to do. He never ever listening to us.
- Geon: He has strong mental so that he doesn’t scared of his huyng
Q: Buffy, Are you jealous with Maknae passion of HO?
- BUFFY: of course No, No Jealous even a little
Q: is this the first time MAD TOWN come to Hongkong? Which is your 1st impression?
- All: This is our first time to Hongkong
- Buffy: My first impression, I feel familiar with Korea but when I looked carefully, there is a little different, It has its own color. I like Hongkong
- Geon: This is my first time going aboard. And Its Hongkong. With going aboard I am so conservative (mean 1st impression decided everything) First I feel uncomfortable but after 1,2 hours I felt not bad. The air is good.
Q: After meeting with Hongkong fans, How do you feel? Is there any different with Korea?
- Heojun: Hongkong fans welcome us very nicely
- Geon: There are a lot of fan more than our imaged
- Jota: out of language trouble (we can’t talk too much with Hongkong fans), everything is same with Korean fans
- Heojun: Fans even used Korean to send us letter. They greet us in Korean also.
Q: is there any place in Hongkong you guys want to go?
- Moos, BUFFY: We want to go to Disneyland
- Geon: We heard that Disneyland is very interesting so we want to go
- HO: I want to enjoy night life
- Jota: I want to see Tsim Sha Tsui / Geon: we want to go shopping
Q: So did you bring money to shopping?
- BUFFY: no we hasn’t money…
- Geon: We just look at everything only
- Jota: I want to eat Peking duck (Buffy: is it from Bejing?/ all members just laughed)
- Geon: we have just eaten a dish, its kind of Wonton like Korean food so we ate a lot
- Buffy: Others dish are all delicious
Q: Do you like any Chinese or Hongkong Artists?
- Jun: Bruce Lee (Li Xianlong)
- Daewon: Tang wei
- Jota: Jackie Chan (Geon: yes, Jackie Chan)
- Jun: Donald Chow Yun-Fat
- Moos: Jay Chou (Jun: Jay Chou? Is he Hongkong artist????) (after everyone tell him, Moos recognized that Jay Chou is from Taiwan) lol
Q: Apart from Hongkong, is there any country you want to come to perform?
- Geon: Everywhere, we need to collect our experience in performance so we want to go more and more countries to perform
- Jota: Just give us a chance, invite us, we can go anywhere and try to do our best
Q: in your dorm, how did you guys set up roommate ?
- Moos: HO and DAEwon, Me and JOTA, Geon and BUFFY, Jun with Manager
Q: Heojun and Manager? Is there any trouble?
- Jun: Our Manager was snoring while sleeping. First reason I was same room with him Its I have bad habit while sleeping. But our manager even worse than me. I lose him
Q: Which member is cleanest and dirtiest member?
- Geon: Jota is the cleanest member
- All: none of us is dirty, everyone is also clean (same level) (but suddenly Moos looked at Heojun)
- Jun: Ah its not me, I am not dirty, I am just chaotic
- Geon: Ah because he is a boy so its normal
Q: So Jota is in charge of housework?
- Jota: ah Yes, I like cooking
- Moos: Jota is best at cooking among members
Q: I heard that HO has his certificate of Cooking? Why don’t you cook for your huyng?
- HO: Ah Yes, I have… (HO is about to talk, his huyng disturb again)
- Jun: his cooking skill hasn’t checked yet
- HO: Because I cooked a lot of dishes when I take a part in cooking competion, so in our dorm, I am just incharged in eating.
- Buffy: We also weren’t curious HO’s cooking skill because we also has a huyng who cooked for us very well (Jota) then I even don’t want to know how about HO’s cooking
Jessica (the Interviewer) has been guide them a Quiz, its help relax for members. The one whose name call most will get prize
Q: Who is the most complacent?
-Moos: Daewon is the most confident, isn’t he?
-Daewon: Do you mean I like to show off?
-Buffy: Not yet. Actually among us, there is none too complacent , we just think Daewon hyung is the one who is most confident so we choose him.
Q: who is the most fawning? Jun (a part from Jun, they choose HO)
- Geon: Seriously we aren’t good at flattery
-Moos: When Jun answer fans on UFO or write a message for fan on fancafe, his words are really…. Aww I even don’t dare to read
- Jota: Its kinda melting (full of love for fans)
Q: The member who is funniest? Jun
- Geon: he likes to do something antic
- Jun: Serious I did like to do antic or fun, sometimes I just want to tease other members
Q: Who is the most taciturn? Jota
- Buffy: I choose Jota hyung
- Jota : I am not taciturn
- Daewon: he is only less talking in our dorm (everyone agree)
Q: Who is most scrimp? Moos
- Geon: he seems very generous, but seriously he is scrimp a little. He likes to show off too.
- Daewon: when he tell us go for eat. When he was paying for everything, he keep talking about “I am the one who will pay, look, your huyng will pay for it”
Q: Who is the most generous? Moos
-Geon: even he seems like to show off but he always pay for our meal
- Jun: because he is the oldest huyng so he need to pay
- Buffy: he is our “donation angel”
- Jun: He is MAD TOWN’s UNICEF
- He is very generous but still very scrimp
Q: who is most crabbed? Lee Geon
- Buffy: not very often but he is just crabbed when Its needed
Q: Who like sleeping most? Moos
-Buffy: If there is no one wake him up, he will sleep for a long time
Q: Who has most impressive with women? HO, Daewon, Geon
-Buffy: Geon Hyung seems very popular these days
- Geon: Really? Is that true? Why I didn’t know that?
(final result: Moos and Jun got most choice, they played Rock-paper-scissors to decided who will win and Moos won)
Q: What do you often do in your free time? If you has 2 days of, what do you want to do?
- Geon: in my free time, I wanna go to cinema or sleep to relax
- Buffy, Moos: Sleep
(HO: talking with himself “I want to play game”)
-Jun: I wanna back my home
Q: What are your hobbies ?
-Jun: I play piano, I have a piano in our dorm, I am also learning to compose songs
- Ho: Play game, I can play a lot of type games
- Daewon: Reading books (Buffy: I can see the word “ Manga” on your face now)
- Moos: I like DJ (do you have DJ Equipment?) no I don’t have, I borrow it from my friend then play it in practice room because if I play it in our dorm, our neighbor will complain
- Buffy: These day I have my own working room. (So we can wait for Buffy’s new songs? ) Oh I can write lyrics, but still need to working on and learning how to compose songs.
- Geon: I like sports. Football, Basketball (Q: Have members played with you?) I often play with Daewon football, others member aren’t like sports. They didn’t know how to play with ball.
- Moos: I don’t like sport
- Jota: I like eye-shopping
- Buffy: because we don’t have money
-Geon: Yes, Jota likes fashion, he has a lot of clothes
Q: So did you guys prepare airport fashion by yourself?
-Geon: Yes, our Airport fashion is prepare by ourself
Q: Who is your favorite artist? Its not nessecery tobe Chinese Artist
-Moos: MBLAQ sunbaenim, really
- Jota: Ariana Grande and Tinashe
- Geon: I like Bruno Mars and Sam Smith, Sam Smith ‘s songs are all very good
- Daewon: I like Jackie Chan, I like his movies, I like action movies since I was young
- Jun: Rain sunbaenim
- HO: I like Brian McKnight (Buffy: I like Chris Brown, don’t you?)
Ho: Can’t I change? (everyone agree that HO can change Lol)
Q: Is there variety show you want to take a part in?
- Moos: I want to join Infinity Challenge
- Geon: I want to take a part in Running Man. I also want MAD TOWN has our own show. I think It must be interesting
Q: Jota has been join Dream Team with good result. Do you want to be in main cast of Dream Team?
- Jota: If you have a chance, I will try my best
Q: You even has better result than sunbaes, How do you feel?
- Jota: first time, I played Vault Jump, My body is not good at that time so I was just in no2. If I have another chance I will try to be no1.
Recently, in high Jump competion, Jota is number 1 . Congrats Jota!!
Q: Jota, have you been an Athlete?
- Jota: yes, I played Judo
Q: If you guy have a chance to join “we got Married”. Who do you want to be pair with?
- Geon: We are still young and still rookie, no money so we haven’t ready to get marred
Q: Who is your idea type?
- Jota: Tinashe
- Jun: My idea type is Jun Ji Hyun sunbaenim
- Daewon: I like Moon Chaewon
- Geon: wait.. I like Moon Chaewon too, I think we need to fight (everyone laugh)
- Moos: I like Lee Na Young
- Buffy: I don’t have exactly idea girl but I like seductive girls
Q: If you were a girl, which members you want to date with?
- Jota: No one
- Jun: Daewon hyung, because I think he is the one who know to take care of his brothers
- Daewon: I choose Jun because he is a good brother
- Geon: I think Jota is good. He is clean, very kind with women, and when he liked someone, he will like her for a long time
- Moos: No one
- Buffy: I choose Jota hyung, He is manly. I think girls will like that kind of man
Translated by: MADTOWN_Vietnam
Q. Please introduce yourself.
Moos (MS): Angel-liked, Moos here! Haha. But as you can see, I’m the eldest among the members, so I’m taking care of them alot, and I buy many delicious things for them. Thats how I got my nickname.
Heojun (HJ): In charge of reversed charm and vocal, Heojun. I also have particular ability that can make people laugh.
Leegeon (LG): In charge of main vocal and disciplinary leader, Leegeon. Because of Moos hyung being an angel-liked, he cant be in charge of “the whipping” (being strict).
Buffy (BF): In charge of rap, Buffy. Um… I’m the team’s magnae (youngest member) but the hyungs (older brothers/big brothers) have up and down charms. Should I do the push and pull well? haha
H.O: 3 days younger than Buffy, in charge of being super magnae, H.O. I also in charge of ‘african feel’ voice (deep voice). I also doing good as super magnae. I dont want to be recognize as super because my big tall body.
Daewon (DW): In charge of vocal and being the main dancer, Daewon. Ah! I also in charge of being pure and clean. And depend on MADTOWN’s peace, I can also be the cupid.
Jota (JT): In charge of rap, Jota. My role in the team is as the middle/being in the middle. there are 3 hyungs (older brothers) and 3 dongsaengs (younger brothers), so I’m taking a role as the middler. As the team’s middler, I’m coordinating too.
Q. How come your group name being MADTOWN? There wasnt anyone who against it?
BF: It’s a name that came up from a vote. Anyway, ‘crazy village’ is suitable for our ‘being carefree’ concept, thats what we think.
DW: Members picked it directly so they are satisfied. There was ‘unicorn’ too but… hahaha.. MADTOWN is the one who came out well.
MS: It’s a name that can cause misunderstanding but it’s suitable for our 7 members image. Upon hearing it, they accepted it right away.
Q. Please introduce your debut song, YOLO.
BF: YOLO is a song that use a trap beat dance genre which is very popular in America. It’s a song that you can be addicted easily on if you keep listen to it.
Q. Is there any interesting episode/moment when you produced your debut album?
MS: Um.. we were really nervous when we recorded for the first time. We tried to keep up and sense and also focus on the recording.
HJ: We think it should came out well, we did preparation beforehand strictly.
H.O: When we think the first recording, it is true that we have some moment that we regret.
Q. We are curious about your feeling when you debut.
BF: It was on KBS2 ‘Music Bank’, we appeared on the ‘Next Week’ corner. When we saw it, “Wah! What to do!”. We became really nervous. Before we thought we only need to do our best to enjoy the stage but suddenly we thought we need to practice harder.
Q. MADTOWN is known as the younger brother of MBLAQ. Were there any advice that MBLAQ gave to you for your album project?
MS: When we practiced, when we shoot our MV, MBLAQ sunbaenims (seniors) came. Especially when MV shooting, that time they told us advices such as gesture, or the dance form.
HJ: Seungho hyung also plays piano very well, I’m his ‘student’.
LG: Because I’m the main vocal, I got vocal lesson from G.O hyung, he also gave me alot of advice. I also did exercise with Thunder hyung and Leejoon hyung. Because they are our senior, they also gave us many advice how to get camera’s spotlight for our image on stage. “Try to catch the attention through your eyes”, “when you are on stage, dont think too much about you being the main on stage, just enjoy it”, we received that kind of advice.
BF: When we saw the article about us being MBLAQ’s brother, there was a burden. We were worried about MBLAQ hyungs’ reputation. But again, it’s a sure that our style is different, I hope people can see the new charm from MADTOWN.
Q. Then, how different is MBLAQ and MADTOWN’s concept?
LG: If MBLAQ has this a bit of heavy aura (being charismatic) around them, then MADTOWN’s concept is being carefree. I think being carefree is a suitable concept for us.
Q. Can you tell us how you wanted to be a singer?
MS: When I was in elementary school, I lived at Hampyeong, Jeolla province. There is one of my older cousins who do dance, when it was vacation, I came to his house to play. Because I followed him, I came to the broadcast station, that time I was thinking ‘I also want to stand on the stage like this’.I told that cousin of mine, we also convinced his parents. When I was on 6th Grade on elementary school, I started to learn how to dance at my cousin’s base. And on middle school, 3rd Grade, I came for audition, passed and started to be a trainee.
HJ: There was an announcement when I was play at theatre, contemporary dance and gigs in the university. Through a friend’s suggestion I did the audition and passed.
LG: When I was young I know music because of my father. I was preparing to find a job after my senior high school graduation, my best friend, Daewon, asked me what if we try to be singers. I’m really close with Daewon since we became friend on elementary school.
BF: Originally I was preparing to enter a school, so I had study constantly. But I’ve fall for the charm of bass guitar, and I made it from a hobby to lifestyle. So I changed from try to enter the school to learn the bass guitar and dance. I also learned how to dance at Moos hyung’s cousin’s base, and I had received the audition proposal from the company.
H.O: Since I was in the 1st year of junior high school, I had dream to become a singer. I also learned how to dance in dance school. I went to competition after learned dance for 2 years. I received a lot of casting offer when I did performance, and I did the audition too. and that was how I became a trainee.
DW: I did an activity as a part of dance group. When I did the dance group activity, I followed and learned MBLAQ sunbaenim and BEAST sunbaenim dance choreo, I did record a video too. And the video gained a popularity, and thats how I got casted.
JT: I did Judo since I was in 1st year of elementary school until 1st year of university. But I quit when I got injured. But at the same time, beside Judo, I had a dream to be a singer. Since I quit the judo because of the injured, I tried to do my other dream by doing an audition. I challenged the JTune Camp audition, passed it and now I become a part of MADTOWN.
Q. It’s good to see the MADTOWN’s individual teamwork. Now you’ve debut as a group, is there any secret of your teamwork?
MS: Surely we’ve been together for 2 years to share the sweats and bitterness. We’ve practice together, we also take bath together and sleep together. and after a long time did practice, we went to the sauna together and drank banana milk after we worked hard. Like this we dont need words to understand each other, sometime by only by action we can also understand each other.
Q. Now you have debut, how is the response around you?
LG: For the first time my relatives and the group chatting room became actived. They told me that they are really proud of me and asked me to be more responsible. I feel thankful to my parents and relatives, thats why I’m going to do my best.
DW: My friends’ response was good. especially our (daewon and leegeon) friends, we heard many said, “those two are doing really good. I’m jealous”.
Q. Is there any special things from the music genre that MADTOWN does?
MS: MADTOWN is going to Hip Hop way. That comes together with the choreography and addictive song that we’re looking for.
BF: Especially it’s been hard for Daewon hyung to created a choreography that suited the song title, he endured well. He is really good in dancing.
DW: Haha. It’s a relief to know that the choreography came out well.
Q. The, there is a point of the ‘YOLO’ choreography? Please introduce it to us.
DW: The point of the choreography is a combined dance. The millstone dance is the main. Actually there is a reason MADTOWN using the millstone word (맷돌). if you pronounce MAD (매드) fast, it become ‘Maet’ (맷), the ‘Dol’ (돌) part came from ‘IDOL’ (아이돌). And if you see, it’s a dance from the turn movement of the millstone.
Q. Lately there is a flood of boygroups. Among the boygrups, is there any strong point of MADTWOWN?
MS: MADTOWN is not going to be well prepared. From the company, we always consult together if we have ideas or opinions. (Moos is saying that the company doesnt prepare everythings for them (choreography dance, some songs))
HJ: That’s right. MADTOWN is a group that its independent being emphasize a lot.
H.O: The choreography too, to make it more carefree, we changed it to martial arts in the last half of the song. Rather than make it same, that time we got a feeling to show poeple the different color.
LG: This is the kind of music that expressing what you feel on that exact day, like that? thats the dance/choreography’s concept.
Q. Martial arts! Isnt your sunbae (senior)’s group, GOT7, famous of it?
BF: GOT7 sunbaenim are people who we admire. If you see, maybe our concept is similar but we’re going to do ours in a way that suits MADTOWN. When you listen to the sunbaenim (any group)’s song, you will go “Ah, isnt this that group’s song?”, we also want people do the same thing to ours, “Oh? This song is MADTOWN’s, right?”, that will be great if that happens.
Q. MADTOWN’s role model?
MS: J.Cole. That person is a rapper who has a smooth voice that has a background on accoustic melody. I like that kind but I also like a genre like RnB and smooth senssibility hip hop. if there is a chance, I wanna make a rap that has sensibility.
LG: I admire MBLAQ sunbaenim. We’re just juniors from the bottom, but they care alot about us. Me too, when I have juniors I will do the same thing like MBLAQ sunbaenim does. and I really like Bruno Mars. I will do my best in practice so I can sing Bruno Mars’ songs for our fans.
HJ: Rain sunbaenim. He did everything and not afraid to do it, he is really cool. I wanna have a clean good look like him. It’s not only the songs, his acting skill too is successful, that make me respect him more, he is cool.
DW: Jay Park. His personality is nice, his color of music also good, our representative (CEO) is also really cool. I also wanna be someone cool like Jay Park sunbaenim. How great it is when I have a chance to do a performance together. Ah! BEAST’s Lee Kikwang sunbaenim and MBLAQ’s Leejoon sunbaenim too! My wish is to perform dance together with them.
H.O: Chris Brown. It makes me teary just to think of it. Really, only by his existence, he is really a cool person. His skill and of course his self-management and also his thorough image are impressive. it will be great if I can practice with him in the practice room for 30 minutes.
BF: Our nation’s rappers, San-E sunbaenim and Zico sunbaenim, I really respect them alot. Outside rapper, Tyga is my role model. That person is a reason why I do rap. When I listened to his mix tape, I thought the rap is really cool if I did it.
JT: I really admire MBLAQ hyungnims (older brother/big brothers)! Especially Leejoon sunbaenim, he is an artist that can sing well and act really good. I wanna be someone who can learn a lot and can be teach on daily.
Q. MADTOWN’s goal?
LG: We want people in South Korea know MADTOWN as soon as possible. If we have chance, we also want to receive the rookie award. And if we get a bit bigger, we wanna do mini concert together with our fans, it will be great.
H.O: It will be great if our MV view hits 1,000.
JT: make it big! How about one hundred million views hahaha
Q. Last one, tell us your debut resolution please.
MS: MADTOWN members, for 2 years really spent their blood and sweat to did their best on the practice. I think the only left is how to show the fun. Everytime we’re on stage we will be very nervous, we won’t even blink our eyes and it will be great if people can see how hard we do our best.
translated by: DAEWONDERFUL
In the group he is the disciplined lead vocalist. He is the leader’s assistant. His real name is Lee Kyeong Tak (이경탁). Lee Geon’s work is related to his father. The dream of his father was to be a singer and his son inherited his stage name. His father is very proud of him for his singing debut. He want to become a singer who can impress by singing.